Sunday, January 17, 2010

Corn co-op honkers

After the last day of the goose season, the cold weather continued with very little access to food for the geese out in the fields. Because of this, they found themselves a "grand buffet" at the local co-op were they had dumped a big pile of corn in the fall. The geese would help themselves and were just stacked around the pile. Knowing this could be a great location to shoot alot of photographs, the next sunny morning I was out sitting in my Power Hunter along side the corn.

I figured since the geese were there for quite awhile, they would come within yards of me trying to get to the corn. But, these late season geese aren't stupid and they could sense/see something wrong by that pile and landed 75-100 yards out in front. Luckily, I had put on the 70-300mm lense and could reach out and get good photographs. I had high hopes of having too much zoom with this lense but soon realized I wasn't going to get any "in your face" shots.

With the sun and wind at my back, I had a good view with the camera to capture the photographs below. Most were taken between 200-300mm on the lense and in AV mode. The last four photographs, I experimented with exposure compensation and basically blew the highlights and overexposed the image making a ghost-like feel to the photographs.

#1.


#2.

#3.
#4. (One of my favorites and reminds me of Top Gun.)

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13. (Not photoshopped, that is actually 4 geese trying to land on top of each other.)
#14. (The last photograph of the morning because I had to go to work. Could of probably filled another memory card if I would of stayed.)
#15.

#16.

#17.

#18.

No comments: