Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Winter Frost

In the month of December with snow already on the ground, one morning I woke up to trees covered in frost, the perfect time to take photographs of the winter landscape. Luckily the goose hunt I was on got done early and the wind was still calm which kept the frost on the trees so out came the camera.

I ended up taking photographs of Lake Panorama, the Brethren Church cemetery and the old barn farm yard that I had photographed before. Using the trusty D90, I used the 18-105mm or 70-300mm lense on the images of the lighthouse and then switched over to just the 18-105mm for the other images. As I find myself using more more, I had the camera set to RAW and used AV mode to control the depth of field.

I processed the RAW files in ViewNX adjusting the white balance, sharpness, contrast and some exposure compensation if needed. With the contrast between the snow and the objects I was getting in the image, I choice to use a custom picture control called Top Gear. This is a “crazy” curve that I downloaded off the web that in the right situations, can product outstanding images.

I then cropped the images in PSE8 along with alittle cloning out of objects that I did not want in the final image. Hopefully there will be many more mornings like this during the winter to get more beautiful images like these.

#1.


#2.


#3.


#4.


#5.


#6.


#7.


#8.


After getting some advice from the refuge forum photography members on how to post process snow by adjusting saturation and other items, I've came up with this image below.



No comments: