Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Summer Storm Clouds over Farm Country

Equipment Used: Nikon D750, Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 DI VC G2 lense, Lightroom & Photoshop CC

It sure didn’t happen very often this summer but there were storm clouds rolling through the country side that produced dramatic skies. I happened to be getting off work when two of these storms passed through so I got my camera out to capture the scene.

The D750 was fitted with the new Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 G2 to shoot landscapes for the first time on these two nights. The VR was kept on as I was shooting handheld with shutter speeds as low as 1/80 sec. RAW format with an ISO of 400-640 and aperture of f7.1 to f9. Matrix metering was used as well and a -1.0 to +.3 exposure compensation adjustment.

Lightroom CC did the majority of the post processing with adjustments to a number of sliders. I first changed the white balance to shade followed by adjustments to exposure, contrast, shadows, whites, clarity, vibrance and saturation. A slight S was put into the tone curve and dehaze was increased as well. Once the above adjustments were done, I created a preset to be able to post process the other images much quicker.

In Photoshop CC, I first cloned out the unwanted spots from a dirty camera using the clone brush tool and straightened the image based off of the corn crib or other buildings I wanted straight. I then made a selection on the corn crib to be able to apply an exposure mask to just the crib.  Because of the red, yellow and white paint on the north side of the crib, I increased the exposure to make it more visible using that selection mask. The final step was to hit F12 to apply the sharpening action I had created previously.

With fall fast approaching, the harvest of corn and soybeans will begin soon so I look forward to getting out in the fields and capturing the farmer’s scenes with the Nikon and Tamron. 

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

No comments: