Saturday, May 15, 2010

FC Coop Sunset

At the end of April there was a major thunderstorm rolling into central Iowa and I was outside to witness the clouds coming into Yale with the sunset in the background. Seeing the potential for beautiful colors in the sky and with the FC coop's grain elevators in the background, I quickly got my camera and started taking photographs.

Using the Nikon D90 and 18-105mm I tried to pay attention to the Rule of Thirds when trying to get the grain elevators and certain clouds in the photograph. From past experience, shooting RAW allows much more tweaking of the scene so I used that format when taking these. Since I was concerned about depth of field, the Av mode was used as well. I also took different exposure levels by using the bracketing feature on the D90 which allows me to take 3 different shots (either -2.0, 0, +2.0 or -1.0, 0, +1.0). I was hoping to use EasyHDR to create a very unique photograph but I've yet to learn how to get sunsets processed correctly in the program. Instead I just processed the RAW files in ViewNX and then finished them up in PSE8.

#1.


#2.


#3.


#4.


No comments: