Thursday, June 2, 2011

Alstromeria and Calla Lily Spring Blossom

With a large wedding reception and brunch being hosted at the Conference Center in mid May, I was able to take home some left over flowers. The beautiful calla lily and the alstromeria were my subjects for these images.

The equipment used was the Nikon D90 and again I used all three Nikon lenses I have after learning that I was able to capture some unique perspectives of flowers on my last shoot. The 70-300mm was used the most followed by the 12-24 mm and 18-105mm. The camera was set to AV mode and RAW along with ISO ranging from 200 to 500. The Gorilla and Slik Pro tripods were used to keep the camera steady. Experimenting with shooting inside on some of these images, I just used a pair of desk lights that I could point at my subject.
This was the first time I made a little “studio” in the basement so the desk lights and a cardboard background was the only thing available. The hardest camera setting to get was the white balance so I shot in RAW so I could adjust it later but the majority of time, left it with what the camera came up with. The nicest thing about shooting inside was no wind which made focusing much easier.
The images were processed in ViewNX with adjustments to the exposure, white balance, picture control and highlight/shadows if needed. My custom landscape-nature picture control was used along with a Top Gear picture control that has been downloaded. Cropping was also done during this step.
Using PSE8, I then used the cloning tool and other techniques to finalize the calla lily and alstromeria images. Because of the cardboard background in my “studio” I used textures for the first time. Textures are a unique way to add a different look to your images. By using them, I believe I improved the look of the images since I was dealing with a boring background.  I used the textures from Jerry Jones at http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot.com/.  Textures were also used on the images taken outside and I found the pollution texture to be to my liking. The opacity of the texture layers were also adjusted to fine tune the post processing.
#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.
 #7.
 #8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

#16.

 #17.

#18.

#19.

#20.

#21.

No comments: