Thursday, June 2, 2011

New Tools of the Trade

With my interest of taking images of flowers, I decided to order up some new equipment that should be able to help me capture flowers up close and personal. I ordered a set of Zeikos macro extension tubes in three different lengths. The set includes a 12mm, 20mm and 36mm tube that can be used individually or in combination. Extension tubes enable your lens to focus closer than its normal minimum focusing distance which allows you to get much closer to your subject. I look forward to using these on my lenses to see what kind of shots I can get!

I've received the extension tubes and have used them once on some images that have not been posted yet. After having some trouble knowing how close I can focus to my subject, I did some testing inside with a ruler and business card. This allowed me to try different lenses and extension tubes and measure the distance between the lense and the business card. With the Sigma 50-150mm lense and a 36mm extension tube I was focusing at 22" at 150mm while the Nikon 18-105mm and a 36mm extension tube was focusing at 5" at 105mm! This close focus distance allowed me to have just a quarter of the business card filling the viewfinder. This will be fun using the extension tubes on flowers!

No comments: