Thursday, January 26, 2012

Trusted Hunting Equipment underneath the Sb-700

After having some success with the Nikon Speedlight SB-700 shooting Absolut vodka bottles in the dark, I figured I might as well get out some hunting equipment and do the same. I gathered up the product brands that I use every day while out in the marsh: Beretta, , Winchester, Drake, Kent, Greenhead Gear and Lynch Mob along with a collection of goose bands.

Once again I placed the D90 on the Slik 500DX tripod and used the Nikon 18-105mm and Sigma 50-150mm lense. I used the 36mm Zeiko extension tube on the Sigma lense which allowed me to get within  inches of the goose bands to really get up close to them. Manual focus was used along with VR being turned off on both lenses. Settings on the camera were RAW, aperture priority mode and ISO of either 200 or 400. A wide aperture of f2.8 to f6.3 were used on the goose band close ups while the other images were at f16.
The SB-700 lit up the products and bands in manual mode off camera by allowing me to adjust the power output of the flash. A range of 1/1 to 1/128 allowed to me to dial in the lighting that I needed. To change the “warmth” of the flashes light discharge, the incandescent filter was attached to the flash.
I transferred the files into ViewNX to process the images by changing the picture controls. Landscape-Nature, Mono Snow Goose and MonChr_G+con picture controls were used to give the images the look that I wanted. The shadow adjustment slider was used a bit to lighten up the background on some of these images.
I used PSE8 to put the final touches on the images by using the cloning brush tool and cropping tool to remove minor scratches from the equipment. The Virtual Studio plug-in for PS was used too with the WWII black/white filter to give another look to a few key images.
Using the flash I was able to highlight the products that I trust while hunting and look forward to the springtime to use the flash during snow goose season. 
#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

#16.

#17.

#18.

#19.

#20.

#21.

#22.

#23.

#24.

#25.

#26.

#27.

#28.

#29.

#30.

#31.

#32.

#33.

No comments: