Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Lake Panorama - Fire in the Sky 2015 (D750)


Equipment Used: Nikon D750 with a 24-120mm f4 lense, Viltrox Remote & Slik Pro 500DX tripod.

With a rented D750, I was excited for the 4th of July weekend and Lake Panorama’s Fire in the Sky firework show. I wanted to see what a full frame camera could do compared to my D90 so I had them set up side by side. I had a new location to shoot from which resulted in capturing not only the fireworks, but the many boats on the water.

Just like the D90, I had the D750 shooting in RAW and in manual mode after turning the autofocus and VR off on the lense. The shutter speed was set to bulb and aperture at f9. ISO was at 200. Exposure time ranged from 6 to 27 seconds. During the firework show, I started out wider with the lense and then kept zooming in along with changing to a portrait orientation. I had a remote in each hand for the two cameras so tried to capture different series of fireworks but ended up getting many that were similar.

One feature of the D750 that I didn’t expect to use or like that much was the tilted screen but after using the camera on a tripod and in different situations, the tilted screen is very useful.

In order to process the D750’s RAW files, I had to download Capture NX-D. Just like on the D90 files, I adjusted the exposure compensation, picture control, saturation slider and highlight/shadow slider. With the much newer sensor technology and being full frame, I was able to lift the shadows with a much cleaner look on the D750 compared to the D90. A couple of the images were turned into HDR’s so I adjusted the exposure compensation on them from -0.5 to +3. I choice the Natural setting in Easy HDR for the processing that program does to create HDR images.

In PSE 11, I did the same steps to finalize the images as I did for the D90 firework shots. In doing so during periods that I was zooming in, the quality of the files as far as noise was visible between the two cameras.

Using a two camera set up for the first time, was a joy to use as it allowed me to get different angles of the fireworks and have more images to share.  I’m looking forward to having the set up again in the future.
 
#1.
 
#2.
 
#3.
 
#4.
 
#5.
 
#6.
 
#7.
 
#8.
 
#9.
 
#10. HDR Processed
 
#11. HDR Processed
 
#12.
 
#13.
 
#14.
 
#15.
 
#16.
 
#17.
 
#18.
 
#19.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: