Monday, July 9, 2018

Lake Panorama Main Basin with the new Tamron 70-200mm G2

Equipment Used: Nikon D750, Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2 lense, Vanguard Abeo Plus 363CT tripod, Lightroom & Photoshop CC

With blue skies dotted with puffy white clouds, I headed to the main basin of Lake Panorama a few weeks ago to try out the new Tamron 70-200mm G2 lense that I acquired. After purchasing three different lenses of this same lense, I kept this one after testing it on lense charts. I was excited to see how it would perform.

I put the lense on the D750 and used my VanGuard tripod as well since I used liveview on my camera to zoom in to focus on the lighthouse. I then turned off autofocus and VR on the lense. I shot in aperture priority mode with apertures at f7. 1, f9 or f16 while ISO was 100 or 200. I turned the shooting mode dial on the D750 to self timer so I could have my hands off the camera when the shutter clicked to help improve sharpness.

I shot a series of images that I could turn into panoramic images using Lightroom and panned my camera on the tripod to be able to create those images. Later in LR, I took these images which ranged from 3 to 7 images and let the program combine them together into a panoramic.

Once imported into Lightroom, I used my custom presets to edit these images and then fine tuned the sliders under the basic editing tap. LR has now updated their lense data base to include the new Tamron G2’ s so I could remove chromatic aberration and enable profile corrections by finding the 70-200 G2 lense under lens correction tap.

In Photoshop, I first cloned out unwanted objects or blemishes in the image. From there, I used a levels layer to increase saturation in the sky, a cooling photo filter to increase the blueness of the water and then improved the look of the lighthouse as well. To do that, I created a mask of just the lighthouse and then linked a brightness/contrast adjustment layer to just that mask.


The new Tamron performed well on this shoot and captured some sharp images and colors that I was able to fine tune in post processing. The panoramics turned out well and are some large files, with some of them being over seventy two inches wide. I’m looking forward to shooting more panoramic and getting them put on metal prints for clients. 

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

No comments: